Inspired by Trish and Andi who wrote about their running experiences last week, I thought I'd throw in my two cents about my own.
They both already did a great job giving running tips. I don't have a lot more to share in that regard. I know people like to write "Facts About Me" posts and I never do them because I can't come up with any interesting facts about myself. Running facts are a different story. After running for years, there are a few things I've learned about myself and running. So here are 7 Facts About Me and Running.
- It took me two attempts at the Couch to 5K for running to stick. The first time I completed the program, but I bailed on running soon after I ran my first race. I had a dozen excuses: it was summer and hot, I didn't have time, etc. I had to do the program again because my body forgot everything. The second time I kept running every week and it stuck. I've been running for 5 years since that second C25K.
- I am not a natural athlete. I was never sporty. I was a skinny, nerdy teen. Running made want to vomit. When I decided to run, I was skeptical. Starting the program was hard! I almost gave up every week. I'm still not a fast runner.
- I hate races. Some people live for races. They sign up for everything: 5K, 10K, half marathons, marathons, Iron Man races. Not me. I don't like crowds. I don't like standing around outside listening to speeches waiting for the race to start. I just want to run! NOW! The advice I was told during the C25K program was to sign up for races to stay motivated. Races don't motivate me. I have personal motivations, mostly regarding health. If races motivate you, that's great! But it's not for me.
- I like to run alone. If I waited for all the people who said they were going to run with me to actually do it, I'd never leave the house. Those meet ups never seem to happen. Not that it matters. I like running by myself. I can go as fast or slow as I want. I can listen to my music. Most importantly I can just step out of the house whenever I feel like it and go!
- My favorite running weather is overcast. Overcast with maybe a light drizzle. No wind. Around 12 C. If every day could be like that, it would be perfect. Usually around here the wind is screeching like a banshee! (Like today. Argh!)
- I have RBF. Running Bitch Face. My husband saw me running one day and told me later that I looked like I was about to murder someone. Maybe this is the real reason I run alone!
- I have a distinctive gait. My daughter says she recognizes me on my route because of the way I run. One of my knees turns in when I run. I try to correct it but it doesn't help. It's because of how I'm built. It might explain #2. I hate running with my shadow. I can see how weird I look. It makes me very self-conscious.
Miscellaneous. Both Andi and Trish mentioned music in their posts and I couldn't agree more! If you need a couple of songs to add to your running playlist, here are a few I can't do without right now: Army of Me (Bjork), Go (The Chemical Brothers), Enter Sandman (Metallica), and Dance (Rebecca and Fiona). I don't have any favorite running apps, but I love my Garmin watch.
Are you a runner? Have you done the C25K? Can you relate to any of my facts?