Overall, my reading year has been meh. I lost my reading mojo somewhere over the summer. I had so many moments of "I don't even know why I'm reading this book" and would either take ages to finish it or toss it aside. I think I'm getting to the point of where I don't even care how I got the book, I'm not going to feel guilty about not finishing it if I'm not feeling it. I haven't been requesting or accepting many review copies because of this. If you've sent me a book to review and I haven't put up a review, I'm sorry. It's not you, it's me. Honestly, you don't want the book blogger equivalent of Grumpy Cat reviewing your book. I'm coming out of this funk but it's taking time.
Where last year I read 100 books, this year I read 64. I'm not even going to try to predict how next year will go. I think my only way out of this is to only read the books I fall in love with. If this works, be prepared for gushing reviews in January.
Some of the fault lies with Victor Hugo. Reading Les Miserables was like eating a block of cheese, it sort of backed everything else up. 1400 pages in 5 months. Whew. I don't think I could take on another project like that again for a long time. I'm glad I did it but it was my Everest.
So, did I like anything in 2012? Yes. Here's my list of the best read.
- Love Begins In Winter by Simon Van Booy
- The Black Count by Tom Reiss
- Georges by Alexandre Dumas
- Bedbugs by Ben Winters
- Good Evening, Mrs Craven by Mollie Panter-Downes
- The Twelve by Justin Cronin
- Les Miserables by Victor Hugo (of course)
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Let's not even talk about the ones I didn't love, okay?
As for what I did when I avoided reading, I was busy.
- My daughter has been participating in new things so I'm doing a lot of driving her to and fro. Also doing some volunteering at her school.
- I started working out seriously in January and try to do something active once a day if I can. I feel great physically and I'm pleased with myself for keeping that up. Once I get a routine going I stick with it, but it's hard to start.
- I watched a lot of TV, especially shows on ABC, like Revenge, Happy Endings, Don't Trust the B- in Apt 23. Then there is New Girl and The Mindy Project on Fox and Elementary on CBS. And, of course, Downton Abbey which I discovered I liked after everyone else was already a fan.
- I contemplated what I want to do with the rest of my life since I'm going to be thirty-something-something-ahem-cough this year. This is a major contributor to my lack of concentration. And, yeah, I haven't come up with a doable plan yet.
- Blogwise, I helped Tasha with The Project Gutenberg Project (though I've been a terrible contributor lately), contributed to The Estella Society, and helped out with Armchair BEA.
That's about it for 2012. Now I shall drag my butt into 2013 and leave this negative attitude behind me!