After organizing my shelves this week I had to go and ruin it by buying more books. Yes, I know, bad me but it wasn't my fault. Fate conspired against me. First of all, I took two boxes of books to the used book store and in return got $34 in bookstore credit. It's like finding money in an old jacket! It's free money! That's rationalizing for you. Since I was there and everything, how could I not, you know, take a look around? I was good. I bought 2 books only:
- The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles (to be fair this is a bookclub pick later this year)
- An Orange from Portugal- a collection of Christmas stories from Maritime writers (I wanted this one for awhile and with Christmas coming now is the time)
- Treason's Harbour by Patrick O'Brien (I later realized I already had this. Argh!)
- Brown Girl in the Ring by Nalo Hopkinson
- A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
And lastly, Penguin sent me Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier. It's a fictional account of Mary Anning, one of the first female paleontologists who discovered the ichthyosaur.
So, I'm plodding along through the first week of NaNoWriMo and it's an interesting experiment that's for sure. I'll have much more to say about it when the month is up. An unfortunate side effect is that I'm jonesing for a new book to read. I keep giving my bookshelves sidelong glances. "Hello my friends. Can't hang out with you right now." It's very hard.
Annnnnnd... It's that time of year again. Time to sign up for Book Bloggers Holiday Swap. I'm mulling it over but I think I'm going to sign on. It's fun to give book related gifts to book bloggers.