I visited the library first this morning for some lighter reads. It's taken me several Read-a-thons to figure this out but the shorter the book, the better my results. The Read-a-thon is not the day to decide to start War & Peace. I need something that will hold my attention and suspenseful reads are the way to do this for me.
Here's my reading list:
- The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan: I've wanted to read this one for awhile.
- Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (Graphic Novel): I loved the original so I'm curious to see how this one plays out. This will be my "need a break" read.
- Now & Forever by Ray Bradbury: 2 novellas in one book. If I can knock one of them out, I'll be cooking with gas!
- Oatcakes and Other Cape Breton Stories by Jess Bond: A collection of short stories set in Cape Breton.
- Possessed by Kate Cann: Curious to see what this one is all about.
- Spellbinder by Helen Stringer: A kid's story about ghosts.
- Me Talk Pretty Some Day by David Sedaris: My comic relief.
Now for what's really important: Food! My next stop was to the grocery store for les snacks. I bought strawberries, Quaker rice chips (sea salt & lime, sour cream & chives), raspberry sorbet and my favorite coffee beans. Later, I made lemon squares and cranberry bran muffins. I am ready!
In the morning, I'm going to hop up, take a shower, get the coffee on and settle in. The Read-a-thon starts at 9am my time I probably won't be staying up 24 hours but I hope to get a lot read.
I'd say to anyone doing this for the first time, pick reads you know you will enjoy. Stick with the genres you love. Take breaks often. Change books if they aren't doing it for you. And have fun!