Trish, who's hosting the Classics Challenge, concocted this Classics Meme:
1. My favorite classic is Jane Eyre. I've re-read it many times. Jane is such a strong woman especially for the times she was living.
2. The classic I had the toughest time finishing is The Wings of the Dove by Henry James. It's one of the only books I can say I hated. The story was fine but James's style was hard to take. His run on sentences went on for pages.
3. I would recommend...........to someone who doesn't read a lot of classics or who doesn't generally like classics because tough one... if they don't mind size The Count of Monte Cristo, an adventure story with a purpose. If the size is too intimidating, I'd recommend To Kill a Mockingbird because I don't know anyone who didn't like it.
4. To me, a classic book is a book that is still relevant today, although it might have been written 100 years or more. It's theme has to speak to the modern reader in some way. It also has to be well written.
5. The type of relationship I have with classics is a good one. I'd tell anyone who thinks classics are too difficult to read to keep at it. The style may not be what you are used to (long descriptions, antiquated language) but after reading a few you will get a feel for them. I've come to love classics and prefer them to other books.
A Book Blogger's Diary is giving away 4 books to readers around the globe. Go check that out!
Historical Tapestry is getting set for a month of Georgette Heyer, a writer I've recently become a fan of. There are giveaways to get things started. Should be fun!