One of my New Year's Resolutions is to not take on more than I can handle, especially when it comes to challenges. In 2007, I discovered Reading Challenges and signed up for everything and completed very little. I still have a few books to finish for the TBR Challenge and The Something About Me Challenge. I really hate not finishing things.
Now the new run of challenges is starting and I find myself being drawn in. They're just so tempting. Why is that? Is it the camaraderie of people working towards the same goals? The cute buttons?
Anyway, I'm sticking to a few rules before I join:
- Try to pick small challenges or large ones spread out over a long time
- Stick with books I already have
- Make sure I'm really interested in the theme, or I'll flake out eventually.
Just 2 books for this one. They have to be either by Jane Austen or about her. I have Mansfield Park and whatever I get for Christmas (my husband was given a list ;) )
This one is 6 books over the whole year, books by 19th Century female authors:
- The Last Man By Mary Shelley (For free from Girlebooks)
- North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
Mansfield Park by Jane Austen Anne of the Windy Poplars by Lucy Maude Montgomery
- A Long Fatal Love Chase by Louisa May Alcott
Sonnets from the Portuguese (poetry) by Elizabeth Barrett Browning