What kind of care do you take of your books? Let's review, shall we?
- Are you careful with the spines? Or do you crack your books open to make them lay flat? I'm not particular about it, although I hate to see them cracked.
- Do you use bookmarks? Or do you dog-ear the corners? If you do use bookmarks, do you use those fashionable metal ones? Or paper? I have a number of bookmarks, which I always seem to lose ( just like gloves). I have one of those fashionable metal ones, but it's heavy and falls out all the time. Most of the time, I just grab an envelope or scrap paper, anything.
- Do you write in your books? Ever? If you do, do you make small marks, or write in as much blank space as you can find? Pen or pencil? Highlighter? Your name on the front page? At first, I was horrified, "Write in books! Never!" Then I realized that, yes, I put my name in mine. Usually in pencil. Books get passed around in my family and I want them back.
- Do you toss your books on the floor? Into book bags? Or do you treat them tenderly, with respect? Some where in the middle. I have respect for them, but they are for reading afterall. I don't leave plastic on the furniture either.
- Do you ever lay your books face-down, to save your place? Ummm...Yeah (blush)
- Um--water? Do you bathe with your books? Hold them with wet hands? Read out in the rain? Anything of that sort? I used to read in the tub, but since I don't have the time for long bubble baths anymore, no.
- Are your books lined up on a bookshelf? Or crammed in any which way? Stacked on the floor? Most of them are in boxes in storage (boo-hoo!) right now. I do have a shelf of them at the moment. I have stacked them on the floor though.
- Do you make a distinction--as regards book care--between hardcovers and paperbacks? Nope
- And, to recap? Naturally, you love all of your books, but how, exactly? Are your books loved in the battered way of a well-loved teddy bear, or like a cherished photo album or item of clothing that's used, appreciated, but carefully cared for? Probably like a photo album.
- Any additional comments? I shamefully admit, you can find smudges of chocolate in a few of mine.
Remember to post your answers in the comments or provide a link.